Chai or Masala chai as it is sometimes called, is not only delicious but its also nutritious. Ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon are all added for an amazingly smooth taste. Most chai contains about one third the amount of caffeine of one cup of coffee. Chai is not made in any one particular way but it is always made up of these four ingredients: black tea, milk, sweetener, and spices. You can also add cloves and pepper to your chai if you prefer. The following recipe is just one variation of traditional masala chai. It makes about two cups. Enjoy!
1. In a medium-sized pot, add 2 and a half cups of water and bring to a boil
2. Add 2 tea bags of any black tea
3. Peel and add 1-2 pods of cardamom, including the peels, for extra flavour
4. Add 1 teaspoon ginger, dried, or half an inch, fresh
5. Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
6. Allow the mixture to boil for about 5 minutes for bold flavour
7. Add milk until the tea has a light, creamy beige look to it (use more or less depending on how creamy you like it)
8. Add 3-4 teaspoons of sugar, adjusting to how sweet you like it
9. Allow to boil for 1 minute.
10. Take a small strainer and drain tea into individual cups.
You’re done! Now its time to savour each and every sip
Do you have any other variations of chai that you’d like to share with us?