We love the unique designs showcased by the multitude of colors, rich patterns, and embellishments which are popular and commonly found in India. For more images of what inspires us, check out our board on Pinterest entitled “Our Inspiration“. Here are just a few ideas that influence our designs:
1) Paisley– The intricate design has long been used in India and resembles the shape of a mango. Popularity of the paisley design grew in the late 1960’s when the Beatles made their way to India and became associated to psychedelic style shortly after.
2) Embroidery– The art and handicraft of decorating fabric with thread or yarn, embroidery has been popular in many different countries around the world. It can also be made from other materials such as sequins and beads and placed on clothing, scarves, blankets, and hats to name a few. India is a country known to have some of the most amazing traditional hand embroidery.
golden threaded embroidery
3) Beading– Used as a form of adornment, beading has existed for thousands of years as evidenced through archaeological records. The variety of beading is endless thanks to the difference in colours, sizes, and materials available. We love it as jewelry and as an embellishment on clothing.
an assortment of bright beads
4) Colour– People have a love of bright and vibrant colours in India. From festivals to Bollywood, there is an interesting symbolic meaning of colour. Bright colours have made a recent come back in fashion, one example being the popularity of neon hues found in clothing, accessories and cosmetics.
fabric in bright and bold colours
5) Patterns– From animal prints, to graphic prints, floral prints and stripes, patterns are popular in a big way this year. We love the look of paisley and lady-like floral and funky geometric prints. Lace is another look we really like and it will inspire some of our clothing and scarves.
popular animal prints