It’s almost that time of year again. Summer’s long blissful sunny days shorten and adopt a brisk chill. The streets get busier and traffic becomes even more headache inducing as everyone that had abandoned the city for their vacation getaway comes traipsing back with a tanned, perky vengeance. Necklines get higher and hem-lines get lower, fabrics get thicker, layers increase and shoes provide more coverage – goodbye sandals, hello unpractical dove grey suede booties. Yes, the end of summer is always a bittersweet time. Late August should in fact be considered a season of its own called “Coming-back-to-reality-ember”. Summer’s fantasies come to an abrupt end and we are forced to trade in our lazy-daisy attitudes for our organized, practical, work-friendly alter-egos.
It’s not all grey skies though (figuratively or literally)! Not only is it the time when the once green leaves blush crimson and coffee shops start making their Fall inspired beverages (pumpkin spice chai anyone?) but Autumn is also the time to bust out those cozy cardigans, printed silk scarves, sexy patterned tights and boots. How we love the boots.
To help us all get in the mood for Fall, we have presented you with our “Fall Five” – our top five Indiverve pieces that will ease your post-summer blues and help you to happily transition into Fall.
1. This opulent take on the classic LBD is stunning and perfect for those Fall events (hello Vancouver Fashion Week – September 16th to 21st). The molten gold threads in the printed velvet instantly catch the light and will help to combat grey sky blues. While this flashy little number is best suited for more lavish, celebratory occasions, it can be instantly dressed down with a sexy leather jacket or Kurt Cobain-esque denim jacket for a fun upscale meets urban down-town feel.
2. This cognac colored silky dress is the ideal transitional piece from late Summer throughout Fall. The airy fabric is light enough not to weigh you down on still-warm September days but the colors reminiscent of crunchy fall leaves and spiced apple cider are utterly appropriate for cozy Autumn.
3. There is nothing like a gorgeous scarf to add some vibrant life to a life-less, drab, Beetle Juice-esque ensemble. This particular gem with its contrasting linen and lace has an eclectic vintage charm that will make you long for Autumn days of flea-market scouring and coffee-shop lingering. The creamy, butter yellow color is cheerful and surprisingly flattering against every skin-tone – so many people think that they can’t pull off yellow – not the case, it actually diminishes redness in your skin and gives a healthy peaches and cream glow.
4. With its hand-embroidered, beaded silk, this scarf instantly evokes thought of India and its vibrant culture and people. The intricate beading and opulent embroidery is done completely by hand, giving each scarf a luxurious, exotic aesthetic and feel. In vivid coral, straw yellow and steel grey, these scarves are surprisingly versatile and add a touch of oriental flare to even the most basic, monochromatic Fall ensemble.
5. Earthy yet enigmatic, our wooden feathered earrings pay tribute to the majestic environmental beauty of British Columbia. Referencing the province’s vast rainforests and abundant wildlife, these earrings will instantly make you feel at one with mother nature while giving your look a down to earth, bohemian feel.
One of our favorite parts of people watching in the city is seeing all of the different, unexpected ways that some people wear their clothes. We hope that whatever it is that you decide to wear this Fall, whether you decide to launch immediately into cardigans, scarves, and ankle booties, or whether you decide to hold onto your summer attire until the last possible second, we hope that you wear it in a way that is unique to you.
“Real style is never right or wrong. It’s a matter of being yourself on purpose.” G. Bruce Boyer